What Does Black History Month Mean to Me?

Tova Thomas, Staff Writer

Black History Month, to me, is more than just 28 calendar days. I, for once, know that black history is 365 days a year. You can’t just put history into twenty-eight days, especially since history that is important to African American culture. Black history is one of the greatest stories ever told. It’s amazing to know that some of the greatest inventions that we use today come from people of African descent. I am very proud to be a member of African American culture and to not be placed in a box of just 28 days but be a part of history that the next generation will be very proud of, like I am today.

Sometimes,  African Americans are labeled as lazy, poor, products of fatherless homes who want everything handed to them. I know for sure this is not my story, which is why it’s important for you to know what my black history means to me. I grew up watching my grandparents, who were married for 60 years and came up in a time when they were not allowed to vote or occupy the same places as their white peers. With all of that treatment, it did not force them to give up on life or their duties for their family. They continued that hard race and showed it to my mother, their daughter, who also experienced racial issues at Pensacola High School in the 60s.

She fought through her high school days, which included experiencing racial issues, but in return, she fought back with love. She taught me those same things; for example, you can’t fight hate with hate. You have to love and appreciate the color of the skin that you are in, even when others are trying to tell you not to. My grandparents and parents are the greatest examples of not falling intothe trap of thinking that the color of their skin is supposed to stop them from making history and loving the people who hate you because of the color of your skin. So again, to sum up black history in 28 days will not work for me, especially when our history is a story that will take more than 28 days to tell. Our story will forever be more than just one month, and I appreciate my black history and what it means to me.