UWF Softball opens season with two wins over No. 19 Lubbock Christian

Meghan Grace Gibson, Writer

The University of West Florida had a strong start to their season on Saturday, with the Argonauts sweeping a doubleheader against No. 19 Lubbock Christian at home. Game 1 ended with a close score of 2-1, while Game 2 ended with a score of 7-1. 

Teala Howard, Kara Wilson, Angela Agurkis, Madeilynne Webb, Courtney McLellan, and Morgan Zettle all had a .500 batting average at the end of both games. Howard, McLellan, and Wilson also all had three hits to help lead the Argos to victory. 

Pitcher Kelsey Sweatt applied the pressure to LCU during Game 1. Sweatt struck out 4 batters, allowing two to walk and one unearned run. 

UWF had their first run in the second inning. McLellan doubled down the left field line and was able to score after LCU committed two errors on a ground ball. LCU turned around and matched the run in the next inning on a sacrifice fly. 

At the bottom of the seventh inning Laurynn Boggs was at third base. LCU made a throw to third to get Boggs, and McLellan advanced to second base. The throw to second base got away and the error allowed Boggs to score the game winning run. 

The Argos got a quick lead in Game 2. Angela Agurkis hit a two-run double in the first inning that allowed Gilbert and Howard to score. Agurkis then scored later in the inning to build UWF’s lead to 3-0 through the first inning.

Courtney McLellan had a two-run triple in the third inning that scored Webb and Agurkis. In the fourth inning Zettle had a pinch-hit single up the middle to score Howard, building UWF’s lead to 7-0. 

Pitchers for game 2 were Gilbert and Freshman Montana Young. Gilbert had three hitless innings, with five strikeouts. Young had no walks and only one hit. The hit was a home run in the seventh inning by Angela Donaldson which made the score 7-1. 

West Florida is traveling to No. 2 North Georgia on February 12-13th. The Argos will play doubleheaders against the NightHawks and Hillsdale in Dahlonega, Georgia.