Beloved Streaming Platforms Race for the Top Spot

Photo by Glenn Carstens-Peters/Unsplash

Sara Kitchin, Staff Writer

As the number of cable users continues to dwindle, subscriptions to various streaming platforms are skyrocketing.

The multiple options ranging from Netflix to Amazon Prime leave streamers unsure of which platform gives the greatest number of options for the lowest price. 

Luckily, it is possible to analyze which platforms work best for you.

It is only fair to start with the biggest name in streaming: Netflix. With its widely known originals and a large catalog of licensed movies, Netflix is in the industry to stay.

However, Netflix has recently announced plans to crack down on password and account sharing through the use of location tracking. This means that only users in the same household will be able to share an account.

This provides much concern for the targeted groups of college students who share an account with family while living on campus. An account-sharing crackdown could cause an increase in subscription revenue for Netflix, but more money spent for students worldwide. 

Netflix’s prices have also greatly increased over recent years, causing it to be one of the more expensive streaming platforms. The standard plan for two streamers on a single account is $15.50 per month as of 2023.

Even though the plans are a bit pricey, Netflix is still the leading company in subscriptions, with 230.7 million subscribers calculated through February.

Although the platform is not new, HBO Max is becoming one of the top competitors in the realm of streaming.

It is known for its library of beloved shows and classics, including the “Lord of the Rings” movies, “Friends” and “South Park.” 

The most mentioned pro of HBO Max over Netflix is that most of the titles on HBO stay available for longer spans of time. A frequent complaint about Netflix is that television shows and movies are removed from the platform too quickly, leaving minimal time for viewers to enjoy them.

HBO Max’s price range is similar to that of Netflix with a $10 charge for a subscription with ads and $16 for an ad-free experience.

The price range of college students is usually a slim one, making Hulu a preferable streaming service with its affordable rates and a wide variety of content.

Hulu’s subscriptions start at a low $8 per month with limited ads. Subscribers can upgrade to an ad-free plan for $15 a month and a full live cable replacement for only $70.

In addition, Hulu has its successful originals including “Love Island,” “The Handmaid’s Tale” and “The Kardashians.” Although these originals are not as widely known as others like “Stranger Things” on Netflix, they are still extremely successful.

With a low monthly subscription price, nearly immediate availability of episodes, and the option to get a joint bundle with Disney Plus, Hulu is one of the top competitors. 

The downside that users have noticed about Hulu is its requirement for a very strong internet connection for the interface to load properly.

Each platform has unique positive and negative qualities that leave room for consumers to find which platform suits their entertainment needs to the highest satisfaction.

Although there is no definite answer to which platform is the “best,” the three previously listed platforms offer a wide range of content to cater to your specific needs.