UWF Students Support the Gulf Coast Kid’s House’s Mission to End Child Abuse

Nicole Willis, Staff Writer

A group of UWF students is working with the local nonprofit organization, Gulf Coast Kid’s House, to help combat child abuse.

The Gulf Coast Kid’s House (GCKH) is a nonprofit organization that serves as an advocacy center for those impacted by child abuse throughout Escambia County. UWF students in a course called “Leadership Communication” have dedicated their time this semester to do just as the course name insinuates—lead by informing the community of a local organization with an important mission.

Among these students is Maverick Wolfley, who explained some of the work that the students have been doing for the GCKH this semester.

“Our goal for [working with] the Gulf Coast Kids House is to raise awareness for them, but also have people learn more about what child abuse is and the signs of child abuse,” Wolfley said.

The GCKH provides a variety of services to support victims of child abuse and their families including mental health counseling and the necessary resources for the intervention, investigation, and prosecution of child abuse cases. The organization’s mission is to end child abuse and heal families through collaborative intervention, family support and prevention education.”

These students have been working to support this mission by showing up to community events and popular spots around the city to make their voices heard.

So far this semester, the students have held a car wash at the police station in support of the GCKH, partnered with the local business Lost Pizza Co. to donate portions of people’s orders to the GCKH and operate an informational table at the John C. Pace Library (on Mondays from 2 to 4 p.m.) to promote upcoming events and the mission of the GCKH. Wolfley says that the students are actively searching around the community in hopes of partnering with more local businesses to donate portions of purchases to the GCKH.

The students have more events planned throughout the semester, including operating an informational table at the upcoming Oct. 21 Gallery Night at Palafox Place from 5 to 9 p.m., as well as a toy drive on Nov. 7-14 on UWF’s Pensacola campus. Wolfley said that more events and details are to come throughout the rest of the semester.

If you are interested in learning more about the Gulf Coast Kid’s House, visit their website at gulfcoastkidshouse.org or call (850) 595-5800. To stay up to date with the organization’s events and work, check out their Facebook page here.