What’s Happening in Pensacola: October 10-16

Nicole Willis, Staff Writer

Kevin Gates at the Pensacola Bay Center – Oct. 14

If you were young in the early to mid-2000s, you have most likely heard a song by hip-hop artist Kevin Gates. Gates’ debut studio album, Islah, was released in 2016 and quickly sent him into fame. Islah features four singles, two of which went on to become two of his most popular songs ever, “2 Phones” and “Really Really.” Six years after Islah, Gates is stopping in at the Pensacola Bay Center as a part of his Big Lyfe Tour. Joining Gates on this tour stop are special guests OMB Peezy, Hunxho and DJ Chose as the host. Gates and his special guests will be performing on Oct. 14 at the Bay Center located at 201 E. Gregory St. Doors are set to open at 7 p.m., and the show is set to begin at 8. Tickets start at $49.50. To learn more about the event or to purchase tickets, visit https://www.pensacolabaycenter.com/events/detail/keven-gates

Taste of the Beach Festival – Oct. 14-15

If you have some time on your hands and don’t mind a drive, check out the Taste of the Beach Festival on Pensacola Beach. This festival is a foodie’s paradise, featuring dishes and drinks from over 15 local restaurants. The celebration begins Oct. 14, with the option to purchase a VIP ticket. VIP ticket holders will enjoy a four-course meal and wine pairings prepared by local chefs. If you prefer a more casual dining experience, head over to the beach on Oct. 15 to sample a variety of food from local vendors. Vendors will be serving everything from seafood and burgers to sweets and alcoholic beverages. In addition to vendors, Taste of the Beach will also feature entertainment including live music, cooking demonstrations, crab racing and more. Admission to the festival on Oct. 15 is free, with vendors selling their goods for additional costs. Vendors tents and entertainment will be set up around the Gulfside Pavilion at 20 Casino Beach Boardwalk. The Taste of the Beach Festival will run from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Oct. 15; Oct. 14’s VIP dinner times vary. To view VIP information and the full event schedule, visit pensacolabeachchamber.com/taste-of-the-beach-2022.

Bridge to Bridge 5k – Oct. 15

Do good for your health and your community by participating in the Bridge to Bridge 5k on October 15. This 5k race spans across the Pensacola Bay Bridge, with the starting point located at the bridge’s base on the Pensacola side. Racers will gear up in preparation for a bright and early start time of 7:30 am. The race’s path is both literally and figuratively straightforward participants will run from the Pensacola side of the bridge to the other side into Gulf Breeze. The race’s finish line will be located at The Bridge Bar and Sunset Lounge in Gulf Breeze (33 Gulf Breeze Parkway A). The Bridge Bar and Sunset Lounge will also be the location for the race’s afterparty celebration in which guests will enjoy food, drinks, and entertainment. Portions of the race’s entry fees will go to the Gulf Breeze Rotary Club to support their scholarship foundation that helps local students every year. To learn more about the race or to register, visit runpensacola.com/event/bridge-to-bridge.

Backyard Beautification at O’Riley’s Uptown Tavern – Oct. 15

O’Riley’s Uptown Tavern is looking to get the community involved with their spot in a fun way—through painting. On Oct. 15 from 12 to 6 p.m., O’Riley’s Uptown Tavern will host a “Backyard Beautification” in which local artists, creatives and organizations are invited to unleash their creative talent onto the tavern’s backyard fences and picnic tables. The fences and picnic tables will be a blank canvas, primed and ready to be painted on by the Pensacola community. There will also be food trucks and a new outdoor service bar accessible to the hungry and thirsty painters. All community creatives are invited to participate in the Backyard Beautification event to help bring some more authentic Pensacola flair to the beloved pub. Though this is a free community event, artists are still encouraged to sign up online to secure a spot. Grab your friends, co-workers or family and let your creative juices flow at O’Riley’s Uptown Tavern (3728 Creighton Rd.). For more information on this event or to sign up, visit orileystavern.com/new-events.