Argos complete the sweep of Christian Brothers University on Senior Night

Tyler Luong, Staff Writer

West Florida volleyball’s reign of dominance in the Gulf South Conference continues as they handily dispatch the Lady Buccaneers 3-0 Friday night. Backed by a high-powered offense and an ironclad defense, it was a complete showing on both sides of the ball from the Argos as they willed their way to another victory.

The opening set kicked off with a closely contested matchup as both sides came to play. It was touch and go for a bit before the Argos gradually pulled away with the lead, at one point going on a five-kill run to take the first set 25-15.

The following set featured a game of runs for the Argos as they racked up multiple stretches of unanswered scoring, with yet another five-kill run to start. Afterward, the Argos would top that by going on a 13-0 run in their most dominant display of the night, forcing the Lady Buccaneers to call two quick timeouts in succession in an effort to stem the bleeding.

West Florida would continue on 16-2 the rest of the way to notch the second set 25-8 to take a commanding 2-0 lead.

The outcome of the final set was very much a repeat of the first two, with UWF going on another run. A 6-0 run by the Argos forced the Lady Buccaneers’ hands as they called back-to-back timeouts in a last-ditch effort to turn the tide.

UWF closed out the set with a final score of 25-13 to take the game and complete the sweep.

In a night of standout performances by the West Florida players, the one that stood out the most was the superb offensive showing from Veresia Yon, who led the team in kills and points scored at 8 and 8.5 apiece. 

Following closely behind was another great showing from Madi Cooler with her seven kills and points scored. Special recognition also goes to Taylor Vaneekeren, who did an excellent job of setting up her teammates by dishing out 20 assists and the lockdown defense of Ashton Marshall, who notched 11 digs.

As they shift their gaze and mindset to the postseason, Yon and the rest of the Argos squad show no signs of cracking under pressure.

“We just have to be disciplined and worry about one game at a time instead of looking ahead,” said Yon. “If we look too far ahead, we might get distracted, so focusing on one game at a time is what counts.”

The Argos extend their winning streak to 21 as they improve to 26-1 for the season and 11-0 in GSC play following the conclusion of Friday’s victory.

The Argos all-time head-to-head record against Christian Brothers improves to a lopsided 19-2 record, in addition to being in the midst of a 13-game win streak against them.

Graduate student Tyler Fezzey and seniors Ashton Marshall and Caroline Terrell were all honored before the game in recognition of all they have achieved as Argos.

Tonight’s game was the first of the final three-game homestand that UWF has left for the regular season. The Argos will only have five games left before heading into the postseason.

UWF will defend their streak next against Mississippi College on Nov. 5 in Clinton, Mississippi.