UWF takes the stage with ‘Shakespeare in Love’

Darien Hardy, Staff Writer

UWF’s Theater Department will present “Shakespeare in Love” based on the screenplay by Marc Norman and Tom Stoppard, adapted for the stage by Lee Hall with music by Paddy Cunneen. 

Performances for the show will be hosted on the Mainstage Theatre of UWF’s Center for Fine & Performing Arts on Oct. 29-31 and Nov. 5-7, with shows at 7:30 p.m. on Friday and Saturday and 2:30 p.m. on Sunday. 

The show takes place when Will Shakespeare was young and suffers from writer’s block. He is running late on finishing his most recent play, “Romeo and Ethel, the Pirate’s Daughter”. He finds inspiration in his new muse, Viola, a beautiful young woman who wants nothing more than to perform onstage, even though women are not allowed. 

Set among a busy background of mistaken identity, merciless plotting and backstage theatrics, Will and Viola’s love blossoms and their passionate and forbidden love affair influence the creation of Shakespeare’s most romantic tragedy ever written. 

Tickets cost $18 per person for general admission, $14 for senior citizens and active military, $12 for non-UWF college students and UWF faculty and staff, and $6 for high school students. UWF students are admitted free with their Nautilus card. Reserved seats can also be purchased for a $2 upcharge. All tickets can be purchased at the CFPA Box Office in Building 82 or online at uwf.edu/tickets. 

For more information about the UWF Theatre Department, visit uwf.edu/cassh/departments/theatre. Also, to see behind the scenes footage, experience the progress of the show and learn more about the cast and crew, visit the UWF Theatre Department’s Instagram @uwftheatre