Netflix, Howard University announce Chadwick Boseman memorial scholarship

Ja’Qaylin Harrison, Staff Writer

On Oct. 4, Netflix, in conjunction with Howard University, announced a $5.4 million scholarship to honor alumnus Chadwick Boseman. This comes just a few months after the university announced that its newly reestablished fine arts department would be named after the late actor. The scholarship will provide incoming students in the College of Fine Arts with a four-year scholarship to cover their tuition costs.  

“It is with immense pleasure and deep gratitude that we announce the creation of an endowed scholarship in honor of alumnus Chadwick Boseman, whose life and contributions to the arts continue to inspire,” said Howard University President Wayne Frederick.

“This scholarship embodies Chadwick’s love for Howard, his passion for storytelling, and his willingness to support future generations of Howard students. I am thankful for the continuous support and partnership of Chadwick’s wife, Mrs. Simone Ledward-Boseman, and to Netflix for this important gift,” Wayne added.

In a press release, the university stated that the scholarship will be awarded to one member of each class, beginning this Fall 2021, and awarded to one exceptional incoming freshman each year on an annual basis.

In a prepared statement, Boseman’s widow expressed thanks to Netflix and Howard University.

“I’m overwhelmed with gratitude and amazed at the love and dedication shown by so many continuing to honor my husband’s work,” Ledward-Boseman said. 

Ted Sarandos, Netflix’s co-CEO and chief content officer, noted the impact that Howard had on Boseman’s life, saying: “He always spoke of his time at Howard and the positive way it shaped his life and career. Now, we will have the opportunity to give many future superheroes a chance to experience the same.”

The school says that recipients must demonstrate “a drive for excellence, leadership, respect, empathy, and passion,” much like the larger-than-life Boseman.