Argos softball dominate Choctaws 6-2, 8-1

Ben Johnson, Writer

University of West Florida (12-5, 7-2 GSC) capped off a thirteen-game homestand by finishing a series sweep of the Mississippi College Choctaws (3-11, 2-7 GSC) in their doubleheader on Saturday at the UWF Softball Complex.

UWF starting pitchers Kelsey Sweatt and Montana Young both improved to 5-1 on the season, while Mississippi College starter Avery Sanders (2-9) was charged with both losses.

The Argos’ pitching proved too dominant for MC, only allowing three runs over their three-game set, but coach Ashliegh McLean will not stop looking for improvement.

“We work on our little things, we work on our defense, and our pitchers work on the little things,” McLean said. “Keeping in that [working] mindset and staying relaxed up there is what we focus on.”

In game one of the doubleheader, Kara Wilson doubled to left field in the first inning, scoring Teala Howard.

In just the third inning, the Argos put the game further out of reach. Ally Merrill scored two RBIs on her home run to left field. 

However, it was Angela Agurkis’ two-run moonshot that began to put the game out of reach for Mississippi College.

“Our mentality was that we need to get base hits,” Agurkis said. “We’re just looking to hit, get on [base] and get those runs in.” 

While game one was undecidedly won by UWF, the Choctaws did not back down by putting pressure on Sweatt.

Jordan LaFosse and Annemarie Peavy managed to draw a walk in the top of the seventh inning with zero outs, but after a strikeout, fly out and close play at home, UWF walked away with the win. 

In game two, MC did not come close to overcoming Young’s brilliant pitching. Young allowed only one run on five hits, which is especially impressive since she is a true freshman.

“[Young] has been solid as a freshman,” McLean said. “We have three solid pitchers and they know that this is a team within a team.

The Argos, getting on the board early, allowed Young to pitch with ease during the course of the win.

“When they can get those runs every inning it helps me calm down,” Montana said. “It helps me get off the plate more and hit my spots more.”

West Florida will travel to Mobile, Ala. to play Spring Hill in a doubleheader on March 9 at 2 p.m.